Colombian work visa

Colombian Work Visa - TP4 - To qualify for a work visa you must be sponsored by a Colombian corporation, with more than 69 million pesos averagebank balance over 6 months. The Colombian work visa is reserved for qualified professionals who will be working directly for a Colombian corporation. You will likely have to prove your professional credentials, and the company you’re going to work for needs to show solid bank balances over the last six months. If you happen to have a Colombia work contract with a new company, your sponsoring company will have to show a significant amount of money in the bank to prove it can cover its operating expenses. The company must have an average balance over the course of six months that is equal to (or more than) 100 minimum salaries. In 2016, that amounts to 69 million pesos. Your job position should fall in line with the economic activity of the company you will work for. For example a computer programmer will not get a visa approved working for a dance company. Higher skilled jobs are more likely to be approved as well. Owners of companies usually find it easier to get work permissions by being a shareholder in their own company, please see for more information on this visa. 

Types of Colombian Visas With Work Privileges:

The Colombian work visa is one of the most difficult to obtain, in part because of the financial requirements discussed above. With a college degree and a job offer in your field, you might be eligible for the Colombian work visa. If not, but you know you want to work in this country, you might consider other types of visas that come with work privileges. These include:

TP-7: Colombian Business Owner’s Visa

TP-10: Colombian Marriage Visa

TP-13: Technical Services Visa

RE: Colombian Investor’s Visa

RE: Padres Visa (if you are the parent of a Colombian national)

The two most common alternatives to the work visa are the marriage visa and the business visa, and we often suggest our clients take that route if we’re not positive they will qualify for the work visa. Creating your own company in Colombia requires an investment of as little as US$3000 to qualify for a business owner’s visa.

For more complete information on the Colombian work visa please click here.


Renew passport in Colombia

Colombian Residency

Popular Types of Colombian Visas

If your ultimate goal in Colombia is to get Colombian citizenship or permanent residency, there are a lot of visa options that will get you started on that path, which you can discuss with your Colombian immigration attorney. Some visas provide a faster track than others. For example, if you happen to be the parent of a Colombian national, you get permanent residency immediately and then, after two years, you can apply for citizenship and a Colombian passport. The M - Marriage Visa (Previously the TP-10 visa), which you can apply for if you have a Colombian civil union or marriage, gives you permanent residency after three years. After another two years as a permanent resident of Colombia, you can apply for citizenship.

Colombian work visas, student visas, business owner's visas, retirement visa, annuity visa and some others require five uninterrupted years before you can become a permanent resident; two years after that, you can apply for Colombian citizenship.

Whether or not to become a Colombian citizen (while remaining a citizen of your country of origin or giving up your original citizenship) is a choice only you can make, and it should be carefully considered. However, if you would like to keep your options open, it's a good idea to get your visa to get started on the path to permanent residency and the option of Colombian citizenship. Maybe you're unsure now, but in five years you might wish you had started the process sooner.

Important, please see 2018 changes to Colombian Visa processes, vetting, and updated financially based visa values click here.

It's important to work with an experienced Colombian immigration attorney. Colombia Legal & Accounting can help you evaluate your unique situation and choose the visa that makes the most sense for you. Take a look at some of your options, then contact your Medellín lawyer to get started.

NE business visa in ColombiaBusiness Visa - Visitor Visa (Previously NE-1) - Workers for foreign entities may perform consultations, meetings, Setup Business, Bank Account, Conduct Market Studies. This visa will get you a cedula to allow for easier setup of bank account when opening a business. more on business visas in Colombia

Colombian student visaColombian Student Visa - (Visitor or Migrant) Visa category depends on program of enrollment. Proof of Enrollment by Accredited Institution, &  Funds to Pay for Classes. This is a great visa which should be for classes at least 3 months long. Spanish classes are very common but are amoung the most expensive classes. If you speak Spanish you can go for technology or regular university classes. Contact us for more information

iconos-13The Colombia Pension / Retirement Visa - Migrant Visa (Previously TP7) - Pension - At least 800 USD monthly from a government pension source, (if pension is private you need annutiy visa).  You may have to qualify for a annuity visa.  You have to receive 3 times minimum salary in monthly bases to qualify for the retirement / pension visa.  click here for more

Work VisaWork Visa - MIGRANT (PREVIOUSLY TP4) - To qualify for a work visa you must be sponsored by a Colombian corporation, with more than 69 million pesos average bank balance over 6 months. Be sure that the position you will have in the company relates to the registered principal economic activity. Click here for more

Colombian business owner visa - TP7 share holder visaColombian Business Owner - Migrant (Previously TP7) - This is also technically a company shareholder visa which you can obtained by owning 69 million pesos in shares in Colombian corporation. Includes working rights if you are a president or vice president of the company. Denied a work visa? Then learn more about the Colombian business owner visa here

iconos-16Colombian Property Owners Visa - Migrant (Previously TP7) - Direct foreign investment of at least 241.3 million pesos in real estate. This is a step down from the full Colombian investors visa, and offers a 1 year renewable visa. Be careful because each year the value is adjusted for inflation. more on the Colombian investors visa here

iconos-13Colombia Rentista / Annuity Visa - Migrant  (Previously TP7) - Annuity or more accurately persons ho have a FIXED INCOME from overseas (meaning your home country) - This visa is great for landlords, trust fund holders, or persons earning fixed monthly income paid from sources outside of Colombia. This can not be from salaries or commissions.  Read about the Colombian Rentista Visa by clicking here.

iconos-27Marriage -  Migrant (Previously TP10) Visa - A great visa for married or civil union couples. Full work benefits & up to 3 years. more

iconos-42Colombian Tourist Visa - Visitor Visa (Previously TP 11) visa is for citizens of countries that can not enter with a stamp at the airport. Many high risk and poor countries are required to visit a colombian consulate to obtain a tourist visa. Click here more information on the Colombian tourist visa

Technical ServiceWork Visitor Visa - (Previously TP 13) - This is a limited temporary visitors visa for performing technical services in Colombia. With the TP-13 visa you can be in Colombia for 180 days in one year. You may work for a foreign company in Colombia, but you may not receive pay directly from a Colombian company. more on Colombian visas with work privileges.

Resident RE Visa - Full residency visa, good for 5 years, and full working benefits. The best visa to have. This can be obtained by investing 449 million pesos in property or in a Colombian company. Money must be a direct foreign investment arriving from personal account. more on the investor visa

Colombia residency beneficiary visaBeneficiary RE Visa - Full residency  is also provided to beneficiaries of RE principal visa holders. Children up to 25 years old, and spouses qualify for this visa. Supporting documents must be completely legalized. marriage certificates may not be older than 90 days,  and must be translated to Spanish. We also offer legalization services
more translations and apostilles 

RE HOME investors visaProperty Investor Visa - RE - For a direct foreign investment paid in full by visa applicant. For the year 2016 the qualifying investment amount is 450 Million pesos. This is a permanent visa, which must be updated every 5 years. more

Qualified RE Visa - This visa is for holders of varios TP or Migrant visas who reach 3-5 years living in the country, and then QUALIFY for a FULL RE - residency visa residency visa. learn more here