Popular Types of Colombian Visas

Colombia offers many types of Colombian visas to foreigners. Read on to find out the juicy details.

If your ultimate goal in Colombia is to get Colombian citizenship or permanent residency, there are a lot of visa options that will get you started on that path, which you can discuss with your Colombian immigration attorney. Some visas provide a faster track than others. For example, if you happen to be the parent of a Colombian national, you get permanent residency immediately and then, after two years, you can apply for citizenship and a Colombian passport. The M – Marriage Visa (Previously the TP-10 visa), which you can apply for if you have a Colombian civil union or marriage, gives you permanent residency after three years. After another two years as a permanent resident of Colombia, you can apply for citizenship.

Popular Types of Colombian Visas

Colombian work visas, student visas, business owner’s visas, retirement visa, annuity visa and some others require five uninterrupted years before you can become a permanent resident; two years after that, you can apply for Colombian citizenship.

Whether or not to become a Colombian citizen (while remaining a citizen of your country of origin or giving up your original citizenship) is a choice only you can make, and it should be carefully considered. However, if you would like to keep your options open, it’s a good idea to get your visa to get started on the path to permanent residency and the option of Colombian citizenship. Maybe you’re unsure now, but in five years you might wish you had started the process sooner.

Important, please see 2022 changes to Colombian Visa processes, vetting, and updated financially based visa values click here.

It’s important to work with an experienced Colombian immigration attorney. Colombia Legal & Accounting can help you evaluate your unique situation and choose the visa that makes the most sense for you. Take a look at some of your options, then contact your Medellín lawyer to get started.

Business Visa - Visitor Visa (Previously NE-1)

Workers for foreign entities may perform consultations, meetings, Setup Business, Bank Account, Conduct Market Studies. This visa will get you a cedula to allow for easier setup of bank account when opening a business. more on business visas in Colombia


Colombian Student Visa

(Visitor or Migrant) Visa category depends on program of enrollment. Proof of Enrollment by Accredited Institution, & Funds to Pay for Classes. This is a great visa which should be for classes at least 3 months long. Spanish classes are very common but are amoung the most expensive classes. If you speak Spanish you can go for technology or regular university classes.


The Colombia Pension / Retirement Visa

Migrant Visa (Previously TP7) – Pension – At least 800 USD monthly from a government pension source, (if pension is private you need annutiy visa).  You may have to qualify for a annuity visa.  You have to receive 3 times minimum salary in monthly bases to qualify for the retirement / pension visa

Work Visa

MIGRANT (PREVIOUSLY TP4) – To qualify for a work visa you must be sponsored by a Colombian corporation, with more than 100 million pesos average bank balance over 6 months. Be sure that the position you will have in the company relates to the registered principal economic activity.

Colombian Business Owner

Migrant (Previously TP7) – This is also technically a company shareholder visa which you can obtained by owning 100 million pesos in shares in Colombian corporation. Includes working rights if you are a president or vice president of the company. Denied a work visa?

Colombian Property Owners Visa

Migrant (Previously TP7) – Direct foreign investment of at least 350 million pesos in real estate. This is a step down from the full Colombian investors visa, and offers a 1 year renewable visa. Be careful because each year the value is adjusted for inflation.

Colombian Tourist Visa

Visitor Visa (Previously TP 11) visa is for citizens of countries that can not enter with a stamp at the airport. Many high risk and poor countries are required to visit a colombian consulate to obtain a tourist visa.

Marriage in Colombia

Migrant (Previously TP10) Visa – A great visa for married or civil union couples. Full work benefits & up to 3 years.


Qualified RE Visa

This visa is for holders of varios TP or Migrant visas who reach 3-5 years living in the country, and then QUALIFY for a FULL RE – residency visa residency visa.

Work Visitor Visa

(Previously TP 13) – This is a limited temporary visitors visa for performing technical services in Colombia. With visitor work visa visa you can be in Colombia up to 2 years but this depends on the authorization that the visa official gives you. 

Resident RE Visa

Full residency visa, good for 5 years, and full working benefits. The best visa to have. This can be obtained by investing 650 million pesos in property or in a Colombian company. Money must be a direct foreign investment arriving from personal account

Colombia Rentista / Annuity Visa

Migrant  (Previously TP7) – Annuity or more accurately persons ho have a FIXED INCOME from overseas (meaning your home country) – This visa is great for landlords, trust fund holders, or persons earning fixed monthly income paid from sources outside of Colombia. This can not be from salaries or commissions.

Beneficiary RE Visa

Full residency  is also provided to beneficiaries of RE principal visa holders. Children up to 25 years old, and spouses qualify for this visa. Supporting documents must be completely legalized. marriage certificates may not be older than 90 days,  and must be translated to Spanish.

Property Investor Visa

RE – For a direct foreign investment paid in full by visa applicant. For the year 2022 the qualifying investment amount is 650 Million pesos. This is a permanent visa, which must be updated every 5 years.

Colombian Tourist Visa

Visitor Visa (Previously TP 11) visa is for citizens of countries that can not enter with a stamp at the airport. Many high risk and poor countries are required to visit a colombian consulate to obtain a tourist visa.

Open chat

Please let us know how we can help you!

If you give us your name and email we can send you more detailed information in English & Spanish if needed.

You can also send us email to: info@medellinattorney.com or call +1-305-767-2766, +57-313-390-7109, +57-301-337-1881, +57-604-444-6634 (landline).