2018 Visa Updates for Colombia
- NEW STRICT PROCESS CHANGES FOR 3 TYPES OF COLOMBIAN VISAS IN 2018
- YEARLY FINANCIAL UPDATES FOR FINANCIALLY BASED COLOMBIAN VISAS
NEW STRICT VETTING OF COLOMBIAN VISA APPLICATIONS
In June, July of 2018 the Government Implemented Tight Visa Review (Vetting) Polcies for Business Owner Visa and Marriage Visa Applications. Finally beneficiary visas have been effected by a new rule that enforces maximum legal date of documents may not exceed 90 days.
1) COLOMBIAN BUSINESS OWNER VISAS: The Colombina Ministry of Foreign Relations Visa Office is asking businesses for receipts, invoices, contracts, quotes, etc to prove businesses are spending money on business related expenses. Previously visa officials just asked for bank statements to prove an investment was made or that they could see some level of transactions moving through the company bank account. Make sure your bookkeeper and accountant are helping you legalize your company transactions in the COMPANY NAME. In other words when you spend money or sign contracts do them in the company name. Personal account movements and cash transactions may complicate the visa application in certain cases. Remember bank transactions provide support to invoices. Finally, THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN RELATIONS VISA OFFICE IS NO LONGER GIVING 3 YEAR visas to everyone. They have to believe you have a legitimate functioning business to issue the 3 year visa. As I mentioned in my 2017 posts when the new law was announced, the option exists for officials to issue M visas for less than 3 years. Just recently we noticed some persons getting less than 3 years depending on the analysis of their business activity. We can help your business organize investments, bookkeeping, and legal documents for business applications. Contact James@ColombiaVisas.com for help.
2) TOUGH INTERVIEWS FOR COLOMBIAN MARRIAGE / CIVIL UNION VISAS: Marriage/Civil Union Visas - Most people are being called to Bogota for interviews. Officials are much tougher on questions and are asking people for cell phones to review social media. Proof of living together, photos together, proof of trips, passport stamps, health or life insurance will help. Search the internet for marriage visa questions which are used in the United States to get an idea of questions they may ask. Remember you may not live in a different address than your wife to obtain this visa. Also, if you apply immediately for a visa after you do a civil union or a marriage this will increase chances of getting the Colombian Marriage Visa. Colombia Legal & Accounting SAS can help couples organize and prepare for interviews in the Ministry of Foreign Relations office in Bogota. Contact James@ColombiaVisas.com for help.
3) COLOMBIAN BENEFICIARY VISAS: Colombia is no longer accepting birth certificates or marriage certificates previously issued which were used in old visa applications. Birth certificates and apostilles can not be older than 90 days. This is part of a law which was passed in late 2017. As illogical as it may seem this new law is in effect and we must deal with it.
YEARLY FINANCIAL UPDATES FOR FINANCIALLY BASED COLOMBIAN VISAS
Below are financial values for popular Colombian Migrant & Residency Visas which depend on the Colombian minimum salary. If you do not understand this chart please contact us. The value to meet the financial requirement is in pesos in the Column titled COP. The USD column is just a reference.
If you need help or have questions regarding your visa applications please send me a message or call our office at 444-6634, 301 337 1881 or in the usa +1 415 240 4698, www.medellinlawyer.com - Colombia Legal & Accounting SAS